Thursday 10 November 2011

Day 18 Widgiemooltha to Coolgardie and beyond 125km

Hi All,

I have mixed up all the days and have just corrected them all.
Had a poor night sleep. The camping ground at Widgiemooltha was 50m from the loudest generator, underneath a light and about 20m from the highway. I turned off the light, but the owner came down an hour later and switched it on again.
I had an easy 76km ride to Coolgardie, most of it seemed to be downhill.
It's so good to be in a place where the buildings are made of brick and not tin or fibro cement. And there's an IGA! Whoo - civilization.

I forgot to mention the longest golf course in the world; the 1365km long Nullarbor links golf course. http://www.nullarborlinks.com/.

The road from Norseman to Coolgardie took a lot more concentration to ride since it is narrower, hillier and winds its way North. I had to pull over on the side many times when I could hear a truck coming. Also, the traffic is increasing. The trucks are gargantuan and carry gargantuan machinery that digs, drills and levels mountains. Most cars here have an orange light on their roof and most people wear fluoro vests. Yes - I'm in mining country.
Never mention taxing what's in the ground that rightfully belongs to China, or you'll be in for a fight!

The next link in the riding chain Westwards is the Boondi campgrounds 90km from here , then Southern Cross 100km further. I'm not sure if I'll make the campgrounds, but will see how far I can go in the next 4 hours.
At this rate I should be in Perth late on Nov 17.



Wildflowers
Postcard from Cocklebidy.

3 comments:

  1. Love this photo Rob! Enjoy the remainder of the trip..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,you are closing in on your goal chewing up the miles. Travel carefully amid the traffic! Received the postcard of the Great Aust Bight. You must have seen some stunning sights. Coffee with Wen in Ormond today. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you're really hiking it....er...i mean...biking it?
    please bring lots of gold on way through coolgardie
    see ya soon..dick & ruth & ben

    ReplyDelete